For a couple reasons, I typically never, ever submit images to large international contests. One being the submission fees are usually more than I want to pay, and the second is that the odds of getting into something like that are pretty much zero, so the probability that you're throwing your money away is high. There are thousands, upon thousands of incredibly talented and creative photographers out there. If you're a photographer and you think too much on that fact, it makes you want to throw your camera in the garbage and move on to something else because there is always someone out there that's way better at it than you. It's a fact. I for one LOVE that there's so much talent out there. I love seeing the creativity of others and the beauty they capture. I think it's fantastic, but normally I'm a realist and act accordingly. I'm not sure what prompted me to abandon my normal cautiousness, but something did and I decided to submit to Head On Photo Awards 2017 and low and behold I was accepted! Say what? I think I'm still in a little bit of shock. I can't quite believe it.
I know when I post stuff about getting into galleries and shows it will sometimes come off as braggadocios, (yes I just used that word!) but I swear to you on my son's life (I probably shouldn't swear on his life, but what's done is done) that is NOT how it's meant. I'm genuinely thrilled, excited and most times shocked at the accomplishment and I want to share! It makes me feel happy and giddy inside and I gotta get it out. True story.
Anywho, the festival runs from May 5 - May 28. My portrait will be at the Museum of Sydney in Australia. I don't anticipate winning anything, because of everything I said above, but the fact that I'm lucky enough to be exhibiting there is plenty for me. The exhibition will more than likely travel to several different locations around the world after it closes in Sydney.
A couple other things on the horizon....
• My image Indigo Bunting will be part of the Black and White show at The Center for Fine Art Photography in Colorado. I hope to go for the opening reception on August 18 and meet several friends I've only known online so far. Send me a message if you're one of them!
• At the end of April I will be traveling to Nebraska to be a visiting artist at MCC. A big thank you to Larry Gawel for inviting me. I'm pretty excited!
• I'll be having a solo show of my project Tharin at Workspace Gallery, Lincoln, Nebraska from September-November, again a BIG thanks to Larry! I think I might owe him a really good bottle of bourbon. ;-)
• There are four images of mine wheat pasted somewhere in Denver as part of The Big Picture. If anyone sees them, please photograph them so I can see!
• Look for the October edition of Black & White Magazine. I'll have a spotlight feature on my work. B&W magazine has been a favorite of mine for many, many, MANY years, so to be featured is something that I never imaged would happen. Not in my wildest dreams.
• Locally, I will be having a small two day show at my good friend Joanna's shop, Fresh Digs, in downtown Effingham as part of the Artisan Fair. Maybe we'll even have a reception or something. That's up in the air. It runs from May 5 - May 7 and would love to see you there!
• Again local, I'll be photographing the Fear Nothing Derby Day May 6 again this year. It's a wonderful event and I hope to see you there.
• I'm now booking for 2017 portrait sessions, so as they say, 'call me,' but really, I would suggest email (firstname.lastname@example.org) because I'm not good at having my phone on me or answering it for that matter, but I always get my email. Yep, I'm that person.
....and I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I suppose this is enough for now. Have a wonderful day!!! And a big Happy St. Patricks Day! Those messy little leprechauns hit our house hard last night. Tore up the whole house, strung up twinkle lights all over the place (which will be staying, because they're festive and I like them so don't judge me if you come over) and they left us some Lucky Charms too.
Lots of Love to you all! ~ Tytia